Monday, January 23, 2012

And the award goes to . . .

Today was a BIG day in the world of Children's and Young Adult Literature - the announcement of the 2012 American Library Associate award winners! Many of you may at least be familiar with two of the awards, the Newbery and the Caldecott, but there are a number of other awards that can be a big help in selecting quality books for your kids (or yourself!).

The link to the full list is below, but here are a couple of highlights:

John Newbery Medal (outstanding contribution to children's literature): Dead End in Norvelt by Jack Gantos - This is an excellent book for ages 10 and up, especially those who are fans of his Joey Pigza series. I actually just read it a few weeks ago, and this is the only time I've ever read an award winner before it was an award winner. Keep an eye out for a review on my blog in the next week or so!

Coretta Scott King (Author) Book Award (recognizes an African American author of quality books for children): Kadir Nelson, for Heart and Soul: The Story of America and African Americans. Mr. Nelson also was an Honor recipient for the CSK Illustrator award. I have not read this one yet, but it's definitely going on my must read list. His We Are the Ship: The Story of Negro League Baseball was required reading for my children's lit class during my grad program, and it was incredible, so I'm looking forward to getting my hands on Heart and Soul. I'll post a review once I've had a chance to read it.

You can look at the full list at this link: http://americanlibrariesmagazine.org/news/ala/american-library-association-announces-2012-youth-media-award-winners



No comments:

Post a Comment